Sunday, August 5, 2007

#23 Summarizing My Thoughts



This is me after completing the 23 Things! Seriously, it was a very educational and often times fun experience. I like learning new things and if one wants to continue to work in a library system, one should keep abreast of new technology so I am glad I completed this "course." My favorite things ( I sound like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music) were blogging, Flickr, Online Image Generators (especially avatars!), Library Thing, Online Wordprocessors/ Spreadsheets, YouTube, and Downloadable Audiobooks. Can you tell I like to play?

One unexpected outcome was that I actually enjoyed much of this and I would not consider myself a "techie" type person. I still prefer to read a print book, give an in-person reader's advisory and help patrons face to face. However, I know I need to know about all these "Things" in order to better serve my customers with all the things they may want.

I liked working at my own pace but if I could change one thing about the format, it would be to have more options. By this I mean maybe to offer say 43 Things and ask to complete 20 of them.

Overall, I feel as though I learned a great deal in a relatively short amount of time. The structure forced me to learn things I never would have learned otherwise because I didn't know some of these "Things" existed! I also liked the "hands on" training where I could learn on my own but with the help of others who were also participating. If HCPL offered something like this in the future, I would definitely participate again. Kudos to all participants!

3 comments:

beachy librarian said...

Congratulations Patty, on finishing. We can always count on you to find an appropriate picture for every occasion. When you list the things you liked best, it almost sounds like ALL of them. The dancing picture reminds me of Staff Day!

IrmBrown said...

Congrats from me too on finishing your 23 things. You really did a nice job on your blog... please consider continuing. I think you have a great "voice" for blogging. I think you have a great idea on the "things"... but I wonder, if people could choose if they would miss the progression ... as there was a progression from simpler to more difficult... let's talk sometime. :-)

Sara smile said...

Good job...now it's up to us to come up with ways in which to continue using blogs. SaraSmile.