Thursday, July 19, 2007

#16: Learn about Wikis


The reason for the Hawaiian dancer is because I discovered "Wiki" means quick in Hawaiian!
One of the things I found interesting about Library 2.0 in 15 Minutes a Day is the method of completing this task in 15 minutes a day! At first it seemed like a great idea but upon further introspection, I realized it wouldn't work for me. When I really get into learning something such as 23 Things, I tend to go deeper and deeper into the "lesson plan" clicking link after link and time can fly into a few hours at a time to explore the many facets of the "Thing!" An aspect about this wiki that I liked was the fact that one has self-created goals that one can pick out of a total of 43 Things. This way one is only learning what one really want to learn. One then shares with others that have the same goals.
Book Lovers Wiki was very entertaining to me but then again I am a book lover! I loved the idea of a SRP for adults where great prizes(certificates for dinners, lunches, salons, books and even bagels) were donated by local merchants. This wiki was VERY user friendly. Anyone could register for the SRP by email, phone or in person at the Princeton Public Library. A person would then receive one raffle ticket for each review written, which could be submitted by email or handwritten where a technical person at that library would then put into the wiki. Reviews were encouraged to be posted with abbreviated names. Another feature I liked was the "guestbook" so that you could view the wiki without being registered. I loved the entire concept! I know HCPL has a blog on Readers Place which is very nice too. I'm not sure which method works better for readers advisory, i.e., blogs or wikis. What do you think?
After reviewing the Bull Run Library Wiki, I was somewhat dumbfounded. It was explained to be a wiki in progress and boy did they mean it! Although it had some great reference sources (I especially liked the math resource and online dictionary with english-spanish translation), the entire site was disjointed in my humble opionion. But then that's what a work in progress is I guess! I saw it has having potential but a good technical organizer needs to put things in their place and not just list things without rhyme or reason.

No comments: