Saturday, July 28, 2007

#20 Discovering YouTube


Today I viewed the highly talked about Obama Girl and Obama Girl vs. Giuliani Girl videos. They were a lot like MTV videos, only about their respective political candidates. They were both sexy and humorous so I think some people will be offended, but I think most of the people who view the videos will not be offended because they are use to this sort of thing from all different medias, including web 2.0 sites! The videos didn't include a lot of "meat" on the issues at hand but if they get otherwise uninterested american citizens enthusiastic about the political process and voting, maybe they are worth something.


Next I viewed Part I of the democratic party political debate that was held recently at the Citadel in SC. Since I missed the debate on TV, it was interesting to see what was said. YouTube has a lot of fun and crazy, entertaining videos but ones like the presidential debate are educational and informative and you don't need to buy TiVo to view missed television programs!


I even got ambitious and decided to post the debate video on my blog. YouTube made it a relatively easy process and I didn't have to "Edit HTML" like the MD Libraries Learning 2.0 directions stated. I just followed the directions on YouTube and Voila', it magically appeared. See it posted below this writing and click on it if you wish to see Part I of the presidential debate.
I like the fact that you can rate the video, share it with others and post it on a blog. I don't like the fact that there is a lot of junk out there and it doesn't seem to get edited at all. Good or bad, it's all out there. Regarding an application to a library website, HCPL could video its different branches and show the public what sort of services are provided to the public. The video could show storytimes, reader advisories, various programs, computer usage, patrons browsing for materials and of course the circulation of print books, audio books, electronic books, DVDs, music CDS, magazines, etc.

1 comment:

beachy librarian said...

You were very ambitious with Youtube - I could see where someone could spend all day exploring it, and of course it changes constantly. I was also interested in your comments about swivel - I must have missed that one.